NIKOLAI A. FORMOZOV
В экспедиции. А. Формозов - третий слева.
Moscow 117311 Russia
tel./fax (095) 930-2821
- Nov. 1991 Ph.D. in Zoology, [Dissertation "Vocalization of Pikas (Ochotona, Lagomorpha): Geographical, Systematical and Ecological Aspects"], Moscow State University.
- June 1977 B.S. in Zoology, Moscow State University.
- June 1972 Graduated from Moscow Special Mathematical School No. 2.
- Jan.2003 - present – Moscow State University, Dept. of Vertebrate Zoology, Faculty of Biology: Leading scientific researcher.
- Oct.1999 - Jan 2003 – MSU, Dept. of Vertebrate Zoology, Faculty of Biology: Senior scientific researcher
- Nov.1993 - Oct.1999 – MSU, Dept. of Vertebrate Zoology, Faculty of Biology: Scientific researcher.
- Sept.1977 - Nov.1993 – MSU, Faculty of biology: Junior scientific researcher.
Field experience: 35 years.
- 2001 - present – Lectures “Organism and Environment” (1 semester) and “Population Ecology” (1 semester), Department of Vertebrate Zoology, Faculty of Biology, Moscow Univ.
- 1999 - present – Summer Field Practicum in Vertebrate Zoology for second year students (17 days) Department of Vertebrate Zoology, Faculty of Biology, Moscow Univ.
- 2004 - Winter Field Practicum in Zoology for MSU students, vicinity of Petushki (3 days).
- 1994 - Winter Field Practicum in Zoology for students of Pushchino University, Tsentarlno lesnoy zapovednik (10 days).
- 1990 - Summer Field Practicum in Ornithology for Dartmouth college's students (7 days in English)
Volunteer Teaching and Judging
- 1979 - 1998 – Head of Ecological Club for high school students (weekly
lectures, bi-monthly field trips) at Moscow University.
Named a Soros High School Teacher in 1994 for this work.
- 1973 - 1999 – Moscow Biology "Olympics" (annual competition for high
present school students): Co-organizer and jury member.
- 1986 - 2000 – Jury member, as well, for the Manteifel Young Naturalist
- 1997 - present – Step to the Future competitions.
International Conferences and Seminars attended
10/1989: University of Arizona, USA (gave lecture on envir. probl.)
11/1989: Friends of the Earth Conf., Naples, Italy
8/1990: Citizen Initiatives Conf., Ecological program co-organizer together with Gordon Orians, Seattle, USA.
1/1991: Rutgers University, USA (gave lecture on Russian nature)
1/1994: SSC meeting and IUCN General Assembly in Buenos Aires
10/1994: 2nd International Conference on Marmots, Aussois, France
7/1996: XIIth Lagomorph Workshop
1978 - present – 83 scientific publications on pikas (Ochotona); marmots (Marmota); sousliks (Spermophilus); red deer (Cervus elaphus); titmice (Parus) etc. Including: Rabbits, Hares and Pikas: Status Survey and Conservation Action Plan (IUCN/SSC: 1990): Co-author of two chapters ("The Pikas" and "Conservation Action Needed for Rabbits, Hares and Pikas") Ecology of Pikas of USSR Fauna. Moscow: Nauka Publ. House. 1991: (co-editor with Alla D. Bernstein)
Editing of Scientific Journals
1997 - present – Editorial board of Zoologicheskiy Zhurnal: Member, Scientific secretary (since 1999)
1991 - present – Zoologicheskiy Zhurnal; Zhurnal Obshchey Biologii; Moscow Society of Naturalists [MOIP] Bulletin; Genetika: Reviewer of articles for all four publications.
1999 - 2001 – "Okhrana Dikoy Prirody” [Wildlife Conservation] quarterly magazine: Editor-in-chief
1999 - 2001 – "Good Mourning", program on ORT TV: (Channel 1): Environmental consultant.
1998 - 1999 – "Dialogues about Animals", weekly program on RTR TV: (Channel 2): Scientific consultant.
1994 - 1998 – Russian Conservation News [RCN] (quarterly newsletter): Endangered Species editor for Nos. 1-14.
1992 - BBC Wildlife film treatment "Into Outer Mongolia": Scientific consultant and co-author with Fergus Beeley.
1990 - 1991 – BBC Wildlife film "Realms of the Russian Bear": Scientific consultant on the Taiga segment.
1990 - present – 47 popular articles on wildlife protection in Okhrana Dikoy Prirody [Protection Wildlife], Priroda [Nature]; Alaska Geographic; The Moscow Times and Russian Conservation News
- 1997 - present – IUCN Species Survival Commission, Rodent Specialist Group: Coordinator for the former Soviet Union.
- 1990 - present – IUCN Species Survival Commission, Lagomorph Specialist Group: Coordinator for the former Soviet Union.
- 1978 - present – National Theriologial Society, Member of Presidium since 1999
- 1978 - present – Moscow Society of Naturalists (MOIP), member of direction of zoological section
- 1985 - present – American Society of Mammologists, Member of Membership Commission (1999)
English (written and spoken).